Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Looking for a quick romance?

Candy By Kevin Brooks

We’re wrapping up the month of love here at the library. I must say, I enjoyed my options more than with the thrillers. The final book I read for this genre was Candy by Kevin Brooks. I found it from the “first loves” list. It’s about Joe, a teenager who meets a girl named Candy on the street. And I guess I’m being literal here because it turns out that Candy is a prostitute. Addicted to heroin. I know, adorable, right? But it turns out that Candy is quite the caring and wonderful girl, minus the fact that she openly admits that nothing can stand in the way of getting her next hit, even love. When Joe finds out that Candy is under the total control of a scary man named Iggy, he goes in search of her to rescue her. The love in the story is subtle but intense, at least for Joe, the narrator. The ending is neither happy nor sad, it just is. I guess this is different from a typical romance, but I find the realism probably appeals to teens. It was a fast read and definitely supplied a great interim read, you know those books you squeeze between two heftier titles. It’s fluff with a jaded edge. Like "Pretty Woman." Except "Pretty Woman" focuses more on the fluff until you kind of forget the fact that Julia Roberts is turning tricks.






Ok, here's "Pretty Woman" too.

1 comment:

Comments