Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Need a break this summer? Try chick-lit

I can’t believe I haven’t talked about chick-lit yet. Not just because chick lit reminds me of chiclets gum, but because it’s actually a fun genre to play around in once and a while. My first experience with chick-lit (which by the way stands for chick literature, as in I’m a cool chick, not I’m a small yellow furry creature) started with Alisa Kwitney’s Does She or Doesn’t She. It was a fun, typical chick lit that I found very enjoyable. A typical chick lit book is about a 20-30 something chick who is either well-to-do or starting off at a career she thought she loved but now totally hates. Either way, something happens (usually a cheating boyfriend followed by a crushing blow to her career) that causes the chick to lose everything and feel completely deflated. Through the help of her friends and new (hotter than the last one) love interest, the chick begins a new life with a new perspective on things and a better job. Ok, so maybe Kwitney’s Does She is a little different, because the chick in this lit is a mother, but the same basic rules apply. We have a chick who struggles with some adversity and ends up happier with herself in the end. And the books are almost always pink, which makes it easy to find on the shelves. We can thank Candace Bushnell (of Sex and the City fame) for starting the trend of writing about independent women who aren’t afraid to step up to the plate to get what they want. But there have been countless others who have followed in her footsteps. If you’re looking for a light, girl-power, slightly formulaic book to jump into and finish quickly, I would definitely give chick-lit a try. You can try it free at the library, but you may feel compelled to buy a new outfit after. Did I mention there are often a lot of shopping splurges in chick-lit? But really, what’s wrong with that? Here’s a list of books that have been recommended to me by my friend and chick-lit expert Anne. Enjoy!

P.S. I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
Sex as a Second Language by Alisa Kwitney
The English American by Alison Larkin
Reconstructing Natalie by Laura Jensen Walker

You might also want to try these top chick lit authors:
Jennifer Crusie
Helen Fielding
Jane Green
Marian Keyes
Sophie Kinsella
Jennifer Weiner