Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Flavor of the Month: Fantasy

I’m sorry I’ve been away for so long, I was playing hide-n’-seek and decided to go into a wardrobe and was lost in a magical world for years and years…oh wait, that was only a second in the real world. Fantasy! The possibilities!! I used to write all the time in school and all my stories would involve magical worlds where I became the princess and had magical powers (I’m not saying I wrote the ideas myself, I had some major help). Fantasy had a definite influence on my life. I wanted so badly as a child to discover another world within my own backyard. But reading fantasy doesn’t have to stop when you’re little. No! There are so many great books for adults that will sweep you away and help you get caught in your own magical world—your imagination! Check out our reader’s wall and display at Main. I know I’m going to start with some Neil Gaiman. Here are some of my personal favorites in convenient list form. Enjoy, and don’t worry, if you swear you were swept away to some crazy world, I’ll believe you.

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
It’s set in WWII England. There’s a small boy struggling with the effects of the war. There’s a hole in the ground that takes him to a magical world. It’s not the most innovative plot, but Connolly incorporates basic fantasy elements well for a fantasy for adults.

Time and Again by Jack Finney
A classic love story with time traveling elements and illustrations! I haven’t read it, but it comes highly recommended from the squirrel I talked with walking to work this morning.

You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore.
Really, anything with vampires is considered Fantasy. But if you’re looking for a funny vampire book, I would highly recommend Mr. Moore. Start with Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story. That’s actually the first of the series (that’s right: word on the street is he’s releasing a third book in the series. May it please have Abby Normal).

It by Stephen King
I would say a creepy monster hiding in the sewers disguising himself as a clown would be considered fantasy, until you start reading it and realize you can’t sleep with the lights off because a creepy monster disguising himself as a clown might very well come out of your bathroom sink. Fun times!