Friday, March 1, 2013

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”  ~ Dr. Seuss


The Children's Department here at the Main Branch of MPL is having a Seuss Weekend for Dr. Seuss' birthday. In order to celebrate the fabulous Dr. Seuss, the Adult Librarians wanted in on it too, so they are sharing their favorite Seuss masterpiece. Who says they're just for kids?

Oh Say Can You Say

Walking into a doctor’s office is nerve racking, especially as a little kid. Every time I’d go to the eye doctor, I’d find this book and be comforted. In Dr. Seuss’ tongue twister of a book, Oh Say Can You Say, I always found delight trying to say the phrases out loud without fumbling over them. I enjoyed the challenge each phrase held and the whimsical drawings that accompanied each phrase. Although I couldn’t fix my vision on my own, I could learn to spit out the hard to say sentences. 

~Kristin M.


 

My favorite doctor Seuss book is Fox in Socks.  My best memory of this book is my daughter making her dad “read faster, read faster” until they both couldn’t stand the twisted tongues and collapsed into giggles.

~Amy W.




I love all Dr. Seuss books, and have probably read every single one. Even the obscure ones. My favorite (when pressed to choose) is There's a Wocket in my Pocket. I used to read it with my little sister and we loved the random rhymes and created creatures in the book. We used to say to one another "Are you certain there is not a jertain behind the curtain?" at random times. It's a fun book and there are good memories attached to it.  And nobody likes a nooth grush on their toothbrush.

~Cailey W.

 


For me, the most memorable Dr. Seuss book has to be the holiday classic, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!  Dr. Seuss was not one of my go-to authors as a kid, but Christmas just wouldn’t be same without the Grinch.  I kind of love seeing him steal the who-pudding, roast beast, toys, and trees – lying right to the face of little Cindy-Lou Who, only to realize that Christmas is made up of more than the trimmings. 
~Meredith T.

Oh the Places You'll Go!


Although How the Grinch Stole Christmas! is delightful and festive, I’ll have to go with Oh the Places You’ll Go! as my favorite Seuss book. Because Seuss is all about possibilities, isn’t he? Green eggs and ham? Why not! Foxes in socks and cats with multicolored hats—go for it. Anything is possible in his world, so it’s only fitting that he take some time to talk right to the reader—If you want to find a Sneetch or climb the highest mountain, do it. Believe it and it can happen. Our imagination seems to slip away from us so fast, but as long as there’s people like Seuss out there, maybe we all can hold on to it for a little longer.
~Amanda D.



Green Eggs and Ham

My favorite Seuss book is "Green Eggs and Ham." I picked this book because I am totally entertained by the idea of Green Ham. I also like the story's moral... the idea of trying new things -- you never know what you are going to like until you try it. It is a great life lesson. Finally, I just like saying "I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I Am." It's just plain fun. 
~Mary P.



What's your favorite Seuss masterpiece and why? And if you have never encountered the wonders of the great doctor or claim you do not like his books:

"Try them! Try them! And you may! Try them and you may I say!"

1 comment:

  1. I always have loved Dr. Seuss! My first and favorite is ABC book. Aunt Annie's alligator, A, A, A.
    It made learning letters fun!

    ReplyDelete

Comments