Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Scary Book Covers

Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Here is a special Halloween edition. Our topic is Scariest Book Covers.

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
 They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic!

We all judge books by their covers. It’s human nature and that’s just fine. Time to celebrate some good old fashioned freaky cover art! Happy Haunting!


Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark by Alvin Schwartz, illustrated by Stephen Gammell
These books always scared the bejeezus out of me. The illustrations are really creepy and because of them and the content, this book has been challenged and banned in some places.


Kids. They’re creepy. Oh and on top of that, when tilted the right way, it says “If You Tell on me You’re Dead.”

First, great title. Second, the long dark hair will always make my skin crawl because of the movie The Ring. On top of that, you have the fog, black and white motif with spurts of blood. Good job cover designers.


Yes this is a graphic novel series, and yes it’s freaky. These vampires are very monstrous and the art is hazy around the edges in grayscale with well-placed detail and color. I can still see those extended jaws and sharp teeth when I close my eyes…

Amanda handed this book over and said “It terrifies me every time I see it.” Yes. Yes it does. Don’t order what he had.



Creepy zombie reaching for you on the cover? Yep that’ll do it. Actually that zombie looks the child of a 30 Days of Night vampire. What sweet hell is this!?


Well if evil children are scary, changeling babies are also creepy. Honestly, add fog and it becomes eerie.


Yes of course Lovecraft is getting a shout out. I actually love the artwork on this one.Very elegant for a squid faced monster.

This is an instant horror classic. The cover and title pretty much cover exactly what Matheson’s creep-tastic book is about.

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! First there’s a "presence in your womb area" feeding off of you. Second, you know that woman is probably pushing that baby out in her living room. Just standing up and there goes baby. I’m freaked out, but good for you natural Mommies. Good for you!

What book covers terrify you?

~Kristin M.

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, the 30 Day of Night cover scares the heck out of me! I mean, ugh! It's so creepy. I also had The Replacements on my list, pretty much anything involving and empty baby carriage and knives is creepy.

    Really nice top ten, you picked awesomely creepy covers! :)

    Roxy @ Story Envy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your list is so creepy I almost didn't make it to the end (I am glad I did because that last one was good for a laugh). I hope I never see 30 Days of Night Again. I have to find some kittens or something to look at ASAP to scrub my eyes! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1IL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. But I am Legend is vampires not zombies. And the Graphic novel version of that is the greatest scary read.

    ReplyDelete

Comments