Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday! (er...Wednesday) Books We're Thankful for

A day late on our Top Ten Tuesday celebration, but here is the list of the books our librarians are thankful for!
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
 They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic!

Books I’m Thankful For…
Harry Potter is the first series I looked forward to and locked myself away in a room with. Yes I went to the midnight release parties and No I’m not embarrassed about that. Harry Potter reintroduced children to a love of literature and opened the door for other authors.
Some of my favorite books (like Harry Potter) reference Norse myths. I love the characters from these myths and the stories of killing each other, then drinking in Valhalla, Odin the Wanderer, and Loki’s mischievous ways. Plus, myths like this started as oral tradition and passed down until someone finally wrote them down. Storytelling and preserving culturally significant tales, those are certainly things I’m thankful for.
~Kristin M.

Is there a better book that Roald Dahl’s Matilda?  I really don’t think so.  It’s one of the books I’m most thankful for because it’s one of the first books I’ve loved.  I think Dahl understood better than anyone the frustrations and joys of being a child.  When the Trunchbull gets her comeuppance in the end and Matilda gets away from her rotten parents, it was like, yeah, this guy gets it.
~Meredith T.

I’m grateful for Roald Dahl in general. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Matilda. I loved them all and they helped encourage my love of reading.
I’m also grateful for dictionaries. Big honking dictionaries that sit open and hold fragments of our language. I had a teacher that said, don’t know the definition? Go ask Webster. Of course, a child’s response is, if I don’t know how to spell it, how do I look it up? 
 ~Amanda D.
 

I am thankful for:
The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan and Jan Berenstain. My parents read this book to me and my brother when we were little (over and over and over). It was my family's go-to book. This book solidified my love of reading and I am thankful for it. 
Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey. This book showed me the awesomeness of Fantasy novels and instilled a life-long hunger for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre. I am thankful for this introduction into what has become my genre of choice.    
~Mary P.


Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis. The funniest book that I have ever read. Period. Full of biting wit, but also quite uplifting. “A dusty thudding in his head made the scene before him beat like a pulse. His mouth had been used as a latrine by some small creature of the night, and then as its mausoleum. During the night, too, he'd somehow been on a cross-country run and then been expertly beaten up by secret police.”
Moby Dick by Herman Melville. This book has gotten me through a lot of hard times. It is a paean to the power of the human spirit. And a good book about whales. “There is a wisdom that is woe; but there is a woe that is madness. And there is a Catskill eagle in some souls that can alike dive down into the blackest gorges, and soar out of them again and become invisible in the sunny spaces. And even if he for ever flies within the gorge, that gorge is in the mountains; so that even in his lowest swoop the mountain eagle is still higher than other birds upon the plain, even though they soar. ”
~John F.

I am thankful for the works of Dr. Seuss, whose books are genius. They are imaginative, fun, and completely original. Specifically, I love Fox in Socks and the ever-dapper Cat in the Hat. What is childhood without a wocket in your pocket? I envy the children who get to discover his wonder anew, and do my best to encourage these books to the children in my life. Green Eggs and Ham just never gets old.
Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version by Philip Pullman. This book is just one of many like it upon my bookshelves. I am just thankful for fairy tales in general. I have been drawn to them throughout my life, and I love that they are always being reimagined and recreated for new generations. These old tales (Cinderella, Hansel & Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, etc.) will never die off. They have real staying power, as evidenced by their constant reappearance in pop culture. Thus it feeds my obsessions.
~Cailey W.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments