Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Librarians' Line-up: Favorite Fantasy Read

This month's librarians' line-up is our favorite fantasy reads. What are yours?



My favorite fantasy book… that is a tall order since all I read is sci-fi and fantasy. So… one of my favorite urban fantasy books is Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison. It has witches, demons, vampires, pixies, fairies, and just about any other supernatural creature you can think of. It is a fun, engaging read about a tough-as-nails witch, who is put on a death list for leaving the supernatural police force. It's also set in Cincinnati. Woot Ohio!
~Mary P.

My favorite currently is the Magicians series by Lev Grossman. It’s starts with The Magicians, then The Magician King, and, (coming soon!) The Magician’s Land. Combine Harry Potter with The Chronicles of Narnia and add a stiff drink. That’s right, this is not a series for kids, but kids who used to love those books, then grew up and want something with a little more grit.
~Amanda D.

My favorite fantasy is Harry Potter. Just like most of the population, I guzzled these books down and wished for more. What do you mean there are only 7 books? Only 4200 pages altogether? No. Unacceptable. I need to be transported once again to the magic and mayhem that is Hogwarts and the wizarding world.
~Kristin M.

I really don’t read a lot of “high fantasy” which is what I typically think of when the general genre of fantasy is mentioned. But when I was in the eighth grade I was very much into the Tortall books written by Tamora Pierce, particularly the “Protector of the Small” quartet in which a young girl, Keladry of Mindelan, becomes the first female to enter the training to become a knight. The highlight of the series is the third book, Squire. Working with the commander of the King’s Own, Kel has started to earn the respect of her peers as well as heartily kicking everyone’s ass in the joust. I may have outgrown the books a bit (I never read the follow-up series, “Provost’s Dog”), but I’ll never forget how much enjoyment I got out of sinking hours into Pierce’s world.
~Meredith T.

J.R.R. Tolkien, Narn i chin Hurin: The Tale of the Children of Hurin, edited by Christopher Tolkien; illustrated by Alan Lee
I’ve always loved The Lord of the Rings, sometimes to the point of obsession. For those among you interested in the back story, the go-to text has always been The Silmarilion, but that is a daunting book for those not used to reading Anglo-Saxon epics. The Children of Hurin, composed from Tolkien’s notes and drafts by his son Christopher, is a much more accessible introduction to the prehistory of the story of the One Ring. The Children of Hurin gives readers a much more detailed look at what life among the Elves was like in the old day (but not the old, old days) and why humans and elves relate to each other the way that they do. It’s a fun book, even if the story it tells is kind of sad, and real treat for people who enjoyed Tolkein’s better known books.
~John F.

I don't read a ton of fantasy, but I have my favorites. The one series that I follow without fail is The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. There are 14 books in the series so far (15 comes out this month!), so I have been through a lot with Harry. What I love about these books is the combination of suspense/crime-solving and fantasy. He is often embroiled in the midst of very human situations, with magical beings just happening to be there. The author does a great job of making this feel normal. Plus, Harry is sarcastic, funny, brave, and loyal. He is awesome.
~Cailey W.

What are your favorite fantasy reads?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments