Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Top Ten Tuesdays: Books on my Summer TBR List

Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Today Marilyn is getting in on the fun with the topic "Books on my summer to be read list."

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic

The Intern’s Handbook: A Thriller by Shane Kuhn
Who pays attention to lowly interns? Nobody! This makes them the perfect disguise for a hit man. New York’s most successful hit man, John Largo infiltrates high profile companies to take out high powered executives, all the while fetching coffee and filing paperwork.

Can you imagine a world where the internet just stopped working? I know I can’t. But this is the world imagined by Wayne Gladstone. I’m a huge fan of his humor columns online so I am excited to see what this book has in store.

I absolutely adored the first Zita the Spacegirl graphic novel and I’ve been looking forward to the release of the third book in the series. In this book, Zita has been wrongfully imprisoned. She now has to devise a brilliant escape plan before the prison warden can execute his plan for interstellar domination.

In my search for books about twins I came across the Dust Lands Triology. A dystopian novel focused on sibling relationships? Sign me up! This book follows Saba, a 17-year-old who lives with her family in the desert wastelands. After her twin brother Lugh is kidnapped, Saba sets leaves the only home she’s ever known to rescue him.

A couple years ago I found Gene Luen Yang’s American Born Chinese, and I’ve been working to read all of his books ever since. This graphic novel is due to be released in July. It creates an origin story for The Green Turtle, who was the first Asian American superhero.

I’m a sucker for zombie books. Sarah and David are on the verge of divorce and hope that they can save their marriage by attending couples counseling. But their plans are put on hold when they are thrown into the middle of a full scale zombie apocalypse.

I saw this book on the shelf and was instantly intrigued. After losing his job in the Great Recession, Clay Jannon has found himself working at Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore. It really is open 24-hours a day, and the people who come in at night are particularly strange. Clay begins to monitor customers' behavior and ends up discovering that this book store is much more than it seems.

I am addicted to Ellen Hopkins’ books, so I cannot wait for the release of her new book in August. This book will focus on 18-year-old Matthew Turner, a devout atheist who has just lost his brother to suicide. But after a terrible accident, Matt begins to hear a rumble, which eventually becomes a voice, causing Matt to question everything he once believed.

I can’t pass up a good dystopian novel, and this one came highly recommended by some friends of mine. This book follows the story of Miranda, whose world is literally shaken to the core when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. Miranda and her family try to survive as the world around them transforms into a cruel and dangerous place.

Have we mentioned that we love Rainbow? Because we really do. And I can’t wait for the release of her next book, Landline, which is due to be released on July 18th.

What's on your list this summer?

~Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments