Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesdays: Favorite Classic Books

Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Today's topic is our favorite classic books, and Marilyn has picked an amazing assortment for you. 

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic


Right from the start of this book I was hooked. I love dystopian novels, and this is classic dystopian. Not to mention that it preaches the importance of books and reading. Can I get an amen?
This is a book that I think everyone should read. What I love most about this book is the shining beacon of good that is Atticus “The World’s Greatest Dad” Finch.
A group of boys get stranded on a deserted island after a plane crash; what could possibly go wrong? Lots; lots of things could go wrong. The boys try to behave like civilized young gents but eventually the darker side of humanity takes over.
It’s weird to put this on a list of my favorites, considering the book’s dark subject matter. However, I do think that it is an incredibly important book and deserves to be mentioned on this list. This book tells the stories of six survivors of the bombing of Hiroshima. It is a grim reminder of what humans are capable of doing to each other.
Is it cliché to put one of Shakespeare’s works on this classics list? Probably, but I’m doing it anyway. Every time I read Macduff explaining that he was not “of woman born” I can’t help but imagine him dropping the mic with the three witches cheering in the background while Macbeth gets served.
I have a love/hate relationship with The Great Gatsby. I hate all of the characters and everything they do, but I love that a book can make me feel so strongly about its characters.
I’ve read and re-read this book and it always brings a smile to my face. It’s a tale of true love, torture, death and sword fights. Who would ask for more?
“In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines, lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.” Madeline was one of my favorite picture books growing up. The story is adorable and the artwork is absolutely beautiful.
I believe that most, if not all, of Roald Dahl’s books are classics, and Matilda just happens to be my favorite. Matilda was a huge inspiration to me as a child and to this day is still one of my favorite characters.
The Velveteen Rabbit is the story of an adorable stuffed rabbit that told that if the little boy who owns him loves him enough he will become “real.” He soon becomes the boy’s favorite toy but the boy catches scarlet fever and the now contaminated rabbit must be burned. I swear I’m not crying over a silly old stuffed rabbit. I’ve just got something in my eye.  

And you, dear reader? Which classics have stuck with you?

~Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen! Elizabeth Bennet is one of my favorite characters along with Mr. Darcy.

    Oh and the childhood book that always makes me cry is "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch.

    ReplyDelete

Comments