Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors I've only read one book from but NEED to read more

Happy Top Ten Tuesday! This week's topic is all about our to-reads. If I like an author, I do typically seek out their other works, but here are a few that have eluded me.

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic

Barbara Pym. I got a couple of Pym’s books for Christmas one year, but I’ve only managed to finish Excellent Women so far. So, unfortunately Jane and Prudence and Quartet in Autumn sit on my shelf unread.

Kirby Larson. Larson’s Hattie Big Sky won a Newbery Honor in 2007 and I really enjoyed her story of a girl making a go of a Montana homestead claim, but I’ve always been meaning to read the sequel, Hattie Ever After.

Kazuo Ishiguro. Never Let Me Go is one of my favorite books, so you’d think I’d have read his most famous work, The Remains of the Day. Yet, it remains one of those many books I’ve started and never finished.

Isabel Allende. When I was in college, Allende came to speak at the National Cathedral. Many of my friends were really excited, but somehow I had no idea who that was. I quickly remedied that by reading Daughter of Fortune, but I never got around to reading any others, including my roommate at the time’s favorite, Stories of Eva Luna.

Toni Morrison. Morrison was covered in a couple of literature classes I took in college, but both times the professor assigned us Jazz. I’ve heard excellent things about her other books, but I’ve never read them.

William Faulkner. I felt so accomplished after finishing The Sound and the Fury and even more accomplished when I felt like I understood it, so I’m a little ashamed to say that in an attempt to chase that feeling again I started but failed to read As I Lay Dying or Absalom, Absalom.

Laurie Halse Anderson. While looking through my Goodreads page, I was surprised to realize that I’ve only read Speak. I thought I had also read Fever, 1793, but I guess I just checked it out and returned it without actually reading it.

Haruki Murakami.  This is a little bit of a cheat because I never finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. So I need to finish that first and then I need to read his other books.

Diane Setterfield. I thought The Thirteenth Tale was incredible and it was seven years before Setterfield wrote another book.  However, I heard Bellman & Black was mediocre at best.  So she needs to write another, better book and then I’ll read that.

Karen Thompson Walker. This last one is a total cheat, Walker has only written one book, The Age of Miracles (which I loved!) so this is really more of a hope that she eventually writes more.

Which authors have you only read one book from?

~Meredith T. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments