Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I'd Want at my Lunch Table

Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Today's back-to-school themed topic is "Characters I'd want at my lunch table." See below for a list of characters we think are awesome. Who would you want at your table?

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic

I would like to spend time with Barbara Gordon; she's just your friendly, neighborhood librarian who also moonlights as Batgirl. So, we could hit the mall, split a cinnabon, and then fight crime - you know, normal librarian stuff.
~Meredith T.

I would like to have Spenser from Robert B. Parker’s A Catskill Eagle (and a lot of other books) at my lunch table. He’s a right guy who could face down any bullies, and or savage them with his rapier wit.
~John F.
  
While I personally do not think that I was ever cool enough in high school to have sat with my favorite characters, I would have loved to have sat with Kate Daniels (Magic Bites) and Rachel Morgan (Dead Witch Walking). Both Kate and Rachel are kick-butt, can-do, magical characters. Kate Daniels is a hard working mercenary in a post-apocalyptic world where magic is making a comeback in, well, waves. Rachel Morgan is a Runner, which is a bounty hunter/investigator for magical beings, who is on the outs (as in they are trying to kill her) with her local police force. The last book, Witch With No Name, (#13) in the Rachel Morgan series is coming out in September and the Kate Daniels series, while still ongoing, has just finished a major story arc in its latest book, Magic Breaks (#7). They are two of the coolest, baddest babes around and I had nowhere near the street cred to have sat with them, but I would have liked to.
~Mary P.

Marian from Barbara Cooney's Roxaboxen would be at my table. She established the city of Roxaboxen, a makeshift town built from the imaginations of children and stones from the desert. I grew up with this book, and Roxaboxen represents all of the best things about growing up in a close knit neighborhood and was the inspiration for many of my childhood adventures. Marian was the glue that held Roxaboxen together and I think we would have gotten along very well. 
I'd also want to have Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist. He lost his body after he and his older brother attempted to bring his mother back to life using alchemy, leaving his soul bound to a suit of armor. He’s already an accomplished alchemist at the age of 13, and is easily the most compassionate character in the series. I’d love to have a friend who could fix anything that’s broken and help you with your science homework. Plus, who wouldn’t want to have lunch with a giant walking, talking suit of armor (even if he can’t actually eat anything). 
~Marilyn W.

Beth from Rainbow Rowell's Attachments would be a great lunch buddy! Beth is a pretty normal woman, holding down a job, going through boyfriend troubles, and living life as a 20-something. She's funny, thoughtful, intelligent, and a good friend. We would get along famously!
~Kristin M.

Even though the first Harry Potter book was released 16 years ago, Hermione is still one of my favorite female book characters. She is strong, brave, and not ashamed of her intelligence. I would definitely want her at my lunch table in the hopes that some of her awesomeness would rub off on me!
~Ragan S.

Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter series would be at my table for sure. She first appears in the fifth book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and is a prominent figure in Harry’s group of friends from there on out. I love her eccentricity and optimism—plus she’s in Ravenclaw, so you know she could help out with your homework!
~Ariel J.

I'd want to have Violet Baudelaire of Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events at my lunch table. She's inventive and would be very entertaining to sit with each day. I'm picturing her creating little gadgets and inventions out of lunch bags, silverware, and milk cartons. Of course her siblings would have to be with us, so let's hope that Sunny isn't feeling particularly aggressive that day (she bites).
~Cailey W.

I don't picture specific characters sitting at my lunch table, but when I look across the cafeteria, I picture Draco Malfoy doing magic to impress Abby Normal, who's only tolerating school to get in with the Cullens (she's totally on to them). Margo Roth Spiegelman is saying something witty to the popular kids, while Zuzana plans out her next big art project. But really, I'd like to take a hint from Claudia and Jamie Kincaid and maybe skip school for the day and head to the museum. Or maybe the library.

~Amanda D.

Who would you want to hang out with?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments