Tuesday, December 9, 2014

New To Me Authors I Read in 2014

Nearing the end of the year, it's time for us to talk about this year's reads. Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is all about what new (to me) authors I've read this year. Enjoy!

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic

Many of you may be familiar with Novak from his role on The Office, but this year he wrote a children’s book called The Book With No Pictures. It is incredibly funny and will have anyone who reads it laughing out loud.

Scott was my guilty pleasure read for this year. I was interested in Fire & Flood when I heard it described as a cross between Pokemon and The Hunger Games (two things I had never imagined together) which immediately grabbed my attention. After reading it, I can assure you that description was right on target. The sequel, Salt & Stone, will be out February 2015.

Not too many authors can have me laughing like a fool in the break room, but O’Brien managed to do it. His book How to Fight Presidents is now one of my favorite books of all time, and I recommend that anyone who is interested in learning about how to beat one of our presidents in a fist fight. Check it out.

To date, Daywalt has a single title under his belt, The Day the Crayons Quit--and I love it. The book is a compilation of letters to a young man from his loyal box of crayons, and it’s just as adorable as it sounds.

This cool guy just happens to be the illustrator of The Day the Crayons Quit. But he also writes and illustrates his own books. The Heart and the Bottle is my personal favorite.

A scavenger hunt in the library for wonderful prizes, yes please! Grabenstein’s Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library was an absolute delight.

I read Carroll’s Through the Woods, in late September and my only regret is that I didn’t read it closer to Halloween. Her chilling stories and creepy drawings made my skin crawl.

Anderson’s book Sidekicked was a lot of fun. It followed Drew Bean, a seemingly normal middle-schooler who moonlights as the Sensationalist, sidekick extraordinaire!

Somehow I had managed to get this far in life without reading Persepolis. Fortunately, I picked up a copy of it earlier this year. It’s an amazing graphic novel, which lead me to read more of her work.

I’d call this more of a rediscovery then a new to me because I read Vaughan’s Runaways while I was in high school, but I hadn’t read anything else of his since. This year someone (cough, cough, Meredith) encouraged me to start reading his series Saga and man, am I glad she did! I couldn’t put it down and it has been one of my favorite reads this year.

What new-to-you authors have you read this year?

~Marilyn

3 comments:

  1. Nice list!! I don't think I've read any of the authors you've listed, so will have to check them out. Here's a link to my TTT list for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2014/12/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-new-to-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Grabenstein, I've been reading him for years and really enjoyed Lemoncello as well, it's soooo cute and fun. Here's my New to Me Authors post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love LOVE Oliver Jeffers!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments