Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Reading Goals 2015: The Year of Quality!

Happy Top Ten Tuesday! As we prepare for the new year, we're discussing our reading goals for 2015. This may be more than 10 (or less, depending on how you look at it). Enjoy!

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic

Reading Goals 2015: The Year of Quality!

I read a whole lot of books in 2014, but I started feeling a little guilty when I realized I hadn’t read a lot of literary books. Now I’m a book snob, but I’m not the type to only read the most literary of books with difficult language and complex themes. Those books are hard to read! But it’s important to challenge oneself, so I will be reading books that have pushed the limits, tried new things, and are notable.
Here is a listing of what I’m thinking:

Read Award Winners (such as):
Americanah by Chimamand Ngozi Adichie (National Book Critics Circle Award, 2013)
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (Orange Prize and PEN/Faulkner Award, 2001)
Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (PEN/Faulkner Award, 1995)
Redeployment by Phil Klay (National Book Award, 2014)
Modern Classics (such as):
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

Classics:
Villette by Charlotte Bronte
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

But what’s a year without some fun! Reading is a way for me to escape the drudgery, so I’ll always pick up a book that’s just for fun. Here are some new releases I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on next year:
The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro. I will proudly tote this book along with me because Ishiguro’s past books Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go are modern masterpieces. He has a nostalgic and weighty way of writing. I’m looking forward to reading his newest release about a couple on the search for a son they haven’t seen in years.
First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen. Although I’ve only read one other of Allen’s books, I’m excited for this continuation of the Waverley family’s tales. Allen writes magical realism books that give you just a hint of magic within our reality and they’re usually the kind of books you want to hug and snuggle up with while drinking apple cider. They’re a delight.
The Price of Blood by Patricia Bracewell. The sequel to Shadow on the Crown, this series is about the 11th century Queen Emma who came from Normandy to marry a Saxon king. I enjoyed the time period and Emma as a main character and I’m curious to see what happens to her in the next couple of books! (See my review of the first book here.)

And of course:
Re-Read the Harry Potter series. Then watch all the movies!!!

Do you have any reading goals for 2015?

~Kristin M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments