Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'm Thankful I've Read

Today's Top Ten Tuesday theme is a Thanksgiving freebie, meaning something Thanksgiving-themed. So I chose books I'm thankful I've read. You may think that's a cop-out, but I'm not always thankful I've read a book. Sometimes they make me mad or sad in a bad way, not in a "hey, that book was so well-written it gave me all sorts of feels!" kind of way. So I put a lot of thought into this list; I hope you enjoy it.

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
I know, I know. I've mentioned this book a few times already. (Like here. And here) The reason I'm putting this on my list is that it is the first book I remember loving. I was eleven, and this book just spoke to me. I've read it many many times since.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I read this as an adult, and I kind of regret that I didn't get to experience this amazing book as a teen. I loved this book (documented here) even though I found it incredibly sad. Something about Charlie just got to me though, and still does.

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
It's only in the last few years that I've actually started to read graphic novels, courtesy of some great recommendations from my friends here at the library. When Nimona came out, I read it in about two hours and immediately sent my friend a message telling her to read it now. Nimona is such a remarkable character. She's not necessarily a good guy, but not really a bad guy either, and she is representative of many very human problems. The book is very relatable for a book about dragons, shape-shifting, and knights.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
I've also mentioned this book before (see here) because it also really hit me in the feelings place. I honestly had very little expectations going into this book, but it really hooked me early on. I've since reread it, and Harold still makes me happy, sad, and really want to give him a hug.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
This was one of those books that I'd been told over and over again to read by trusted individuals. Sometimes it takes me a while to listen! When I finally did read this book, I seriously loved it. I'm not even a gamer, but I just loved the world-building and the fast-paced plot. It's a big book, but a winner.

When Books Went to War by Molly Guptill Manning
Sometimes I like to learn things. I grabbed this book on audio mostly because I just was in the mood for a nonfiction book. I've since become a bit of a pusher of this book, putting it into the hands of many patrons and friends. The book is about the impact of books during war. There was so much information in here that I had never heard before, and it was fascinating! Especially for a book-lover like myself.



The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
This book is one that crept up on me. It wasn't until after I finished it that I realized how much I enjoyed it. The book is filled with amazing quotes about books and readers, and the story is simply lovely. It's very hard to describe it though. Just pick it up. (It's a book for us book-lovers too!)

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
Even though I haven't exactly loved her last couple books, I straight-up loved this book. It is so funny and sweet and had some really great lines throughout. It's one I've returned to a couple times as well. The book is very well-written, and weirdly takes place in the turn of the century (1999 to 2000), but that adds to the ambiance of the story.

The Martian by Andy Weir
I'm not generally a big science fiction reader. I have a hard time suspending my disbelief (except in the case of a certain wizard). That being said, I almost didn't read this book. It was really impressive to me. The story didn't feel very far-fetched since there was so much science included (but not too much science that it went over my head). It also spiraled me into an interest in space. After this I read Mary Roach's Packing for Mars, which I also really recommend.

Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
This book is funny, sad, sweet, and wonderful. It's not for everyone, but something about this book and it's terrible drawings caught me. The writer is telling her stories in a humorous manner, but she is telling very true, honest stories of her life. Some of it is not pretty. That said, this book makes me laugh so much that it has a permanent place on my bookshelf.

Which books are you thankful to have read?

~Cailey W.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments