Thursday, February 11, 2016

Marilyn's Top Five Single Issue Comics of 2015

Finishing out our Best Comics of 2015 is Marilyn! Check out her favorite single issues below, then be sure to check them out of the library!

Lazarus #15 (February 18, 2015)
Found in Lazarus, Book 3: Conclave 
If I were to pick a theme for this trade it would be loyalty. The families are in conclave and alliances are being formed behind closed doors. Forever has already her loyalty tested after being ordered to kill her traitorous brother Jonah, but that won’t be the end of it. In one of the most emotional issues in the series, Forever is forced into a heartbreaking battle to the death against her friend and fellow Lazarus, Sonia.


Batgirl #45 (October 28, 2015) by
Found in Batgirl, Volume 2 
Babs Tarr is one of my favorite artists working today, and Batgirl issue #45 gave her a chance to really show off her talents. In this issue Barbara’s former roommate Alysia is getting married and Barbara is the maid of honor. This means plenty of fantastic fashion on Tarr’s part, including two stunning bridal outfits, Luke in formal-wear, several panels of Barbara running across rooftops in her bridesmaid dress, and flashback to a young Barbara and Dick Grayson being adorable in their old costumes. The wedding photo booth cover was just the icing on the cake. This finally felt like a wedding issue of a comic for a reader like me.

Saga #32 (December 23, 2015) by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
Trade Not Out Yet, Start From the Beginning with Trade #1
In recent issues the Saga story has felt rather scattered, which makes sense considering that the cast is scattered across the galaxy. But issue #32 finally felt like it was pulling the story back together. I can’t tell you how happy I was to finally see Alana and Marko back together. The first few pages of this issue made me feel like I was right back reading issue #1 all over again.

Silk #1 (February 18, 2015)
Found in Silk, Vol 1, The Life and Times of Cindy Moon 
A lot of the comics I have in my pull have been going on for a while, so I was excited to start a new series with Silk this year. I can happily say that Silk came as a breath of fresh air. A lot of the other Spider series that Marvel has going feel weighed down by their Spider status, like Spider-Gwen.  But I don’t get that feeling with Silk. She has her own story to tell, and I am loving it.

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2
Found in S.H.I.E.L.D. Volume 1, Perfect Bullies 
One of the things I love about the new Ms. Marvel is that she’s a comic nerd, just like us! In S.H.I.E.L.D. #2 she has to team up with one of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to save her school from destruction. The whole issue I just kept thinking, “Man, I hope she gets to meet Coulson. I just want to see the two of them geek out over superheroes.” Well I was not disappointed.

~Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments