Thursday, August 18, 2016

What type of reader are you?


Presumably, if you are following this blog, you love books. We all love books. But everyone loves and reads books in their own way. I thought it would be fun to attempt to put names to some of the different types of readers out there.

#1. The Serial Series Reader
This person loves a good series. They may even go so far as to reject stand-alone novels all together. They love to get lost in a world built up through as many books as the author is kind enough to write. The characters become their friends and they just don’t want to let go.

#2. The True Bibliophile
This type of reader loves all books and everything that has to do with books. They can read any genre and will finish EVERY book they start. Not only do they read books but they read about books, make book crafts, they may even wear articles of clothing with books on them.


#3. The Book Deserter 
This is the reader that loves to start new books but can’t quite seem to finish them. It may be because they are a picky reader or they may just simply grow bored with the plot or characters and move on to the next book on their list.

#4. The Adult YA Reader
These readers are fans of YA books and they aren’t afraid to show it. They love the engaging stories and the dynamic characters. This person will tell you (and they will be right) that YA books can be great reads, even for adults!

#5. The Genre Reader
Similar to the series reader, this person sticks to their favorite genre when choosing their next read. Whether it be mystery, romance, or science fiction, they rarely stray from their comfort zone.


#6. The Relaxed Reader
This reader will pick up their next book on a whim. They may like the cover, have heard of it in passing, or it may be a completely random choice. They will finish it if it’s enjoyable but will set it aside if it’s not. They don’t mind to cross genre barriers or try new author debuts.


I have always aspired to be a “true bibliophile”, spanning book genres and easily finishing any and all books I begin even if I am not totally enjoying it. But I have come to terms with the fact that I am just not that type of reader. I am much more of a “relaxed reader” type with a hint of “book deserter.” I will give any book a try, and I have enjoyed books in most genres, but I won’t force myself to read something I am not fully enjoying. Unfortunately, that means that I sometimes feel like I abandon more books than I finish but it also means I mostly love all the books I do finish.

Obviously, this list is not exhaustive. You may be a combination of these types of readers or a type all your own. So, what type of reader are you?

~Ragan S.

3 comments:

  1. I would say I am a combination of 1,3,4, and 5. I love great storytelling and world building. I prefer graphic novels/ comics over actual novels but love reading both immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #5 and #2. I am actually hoping to make a garment out of books ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a combo of 1, 4, and 5! Love me some fantasy YA series! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments