Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic
February 13 is Galentine’s Day. What is Galentine’s Day? I’ll allow Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) from Parks and Recreation to explain: “Oh it's only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It's like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.” So in honor of Leslie Knope and Galentine’s Day, let me list my favorite gal pals.
2. Trish and Jessica (Jessica Jones and Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat) – Developed from the pages of Brian Michael Bendis’ Alias, Netflix’s Jessica Jones series introduced us all to the friendship between Jessica and her adoptive sister, Trish. The two have a fierce bond from dealing with the aftermath of an encounter with villain Killgrave. Their friendship has recently made the jump back to the comic panels in Kate Leth’s Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat series.
3. Claire and Alice (Resident Evil: Extinction) – When the world ends, it’s important to know that your friends have got your back. Alice and Claire have been looking out for each other over the past ten years during the Resident Evil franchise. No zombies even have a chance.
4. Pauline and Juliet (Heavenly Creatures) – OK, so not all friendships end well, but you can’t argue the steadfastness of your relationship when your best friend is willing to help you murder your mom. The film is Peter Jackson’s adaptation of a real life event involving author Anne Perry.
7. Abby and Gretchen (My Best Friend’s Exorcism) – I talked about this book more at length during my full review, but it fits very well for this list. It’s a testament to the power of friendship overcoming the will of an evil demon.
8. Novalee, Sister Husband, and Lexi (Where the Heart Is) – Sometimes friends can become your found family. Novalee has nothing when her boyfriend leaves her at an Oklahoma Wal-Mart. Luckily, the small town of Sequoyah is full of quirky, big hearted people who are ready to take Novalee under their wings.
9. Idgie and Ruth (Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café) – The lifelong friendship between Idgie and Ruth is one of the most enduring, I think, in any book or movie. They face a lifetime of triumphs and tragedies, able to weather it all as long as they are by each other’s side.
10. Anne and Diana (Anne of Green Gables) – Does a pair get more iconic than this? Anne Shirley, who has never had a single soul she could confide in, finds her true bosom friend in Diana Barry.
Honorable mention to the one and only, Leslie Knope of Parks & Recreation and her friendships with her fellow Pawnee residents.