Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Top Ten Series I've Been Meaning To Start But Haven't

I read a lot, obviously, but no matter how much I read, my "to-read" list is always longer than the list of books I've finished. Also, sometimes it is so daunting to jump into an existing series, because I then feel pressured to read all of them, so I don't start the first one. Until just a few years ago, I'd never even started the Harry Potter series (see more on that here), so sometimes it just takes me a while to come around. Here's a list of ten series I've been meaning to start (I swear!) but haven't.

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic

March Trilogy by John Lewis
I've heard so much about this trilogy, but haven't yet picked it up. These non-fiction graphic memoirs follow the life of civil rights activist John Lewis. Through many years and many protests, his conviction shines through.

Cavendon Hall by Barbara Taylor Bradford
This series is reminiscent of Downton Abbey, showing the two sides of those that live at the affluent Cavendon Hall, both the residents and those who are employed there. I checked this out once before but was turned off by a violent scene in the first book. I've been promised the story gets better, so I intend to revisit it.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
How many times have I picked this book up but never read it? Countless. As someone who prides herself on their knowledge of teen literature, I'm a bit ashamed I haven't picked up this creepy series yet.

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
So many people have told me to read these books! And I mean to, I really do. It's a futuristic tale that covers corporate greed and mass plagues. The story is told completely through "found" documents, such as emails, notes, corporate memos, etc. I'm told this makes the whole book go quickly. I'll get to it soon!

Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan, illustrated by Cliff Chang
My only graphic novel collection on this list. I am a fan of Vaughan's work because of my reading of Saga (which is brilliant if you haven't read it!), so I've been meaning to pick up this series. It's completely different from Saga, taking place in the late 1980s, surrounding the lives of several young women who work in newspaper delivery.

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante
Here's another that I just started at the wrong time. I really want to dive into this series about two young women in Italy, exploring their friendship and the ups and downs of their lives. And I really will read it someday. Promise.

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine
I'm not a huge sci-fi/fantasy reader. So for me to pick up a book like that I have to be in the right mood and it has to interest me in just the right way. This series has all the correct markers, including being very library-focused (yay!), so now I just need to be motivated enough to start the series.

The Selection by Kiera Cass
This is one of those book series that was all the rage here for awhile amongst our teens. I think interest in it has declined some, but I still want to read this series about the selection process for the next princess. It's like a fairy tale with a dystopian twist. Right up my alley.

Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
ZOMBIES! For some time there, I read lots of zombie-lit. It was a fascination that came in part from my interest in dystopian literature. I'm not really about the monsters. This zombie tale is supposed to be different. The series follows two zombie-hunter brothers and is really more about them (with action and zombies thrown in).

The Cherry Cola Book Club by Ashton Lee
Every once in a while, I look for a cozy read. Something simple and sweet, but still interesting. I'm particularly drawn to this series because it features librarians (ahem) and book clubs, both of which I'm quite familiar with. The series starts out with a young librarian trying to help boost interest in her library, so she starts a book club. It takes place in the south, which is inherently cozy to me. I'll get to this one sooner rather than later.

Okay, so which series have you put off til now?

~Cailey

2 comments:

  1. Ink and Bone is so good, I hope you enjoy it!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/20/top-ten-tuesday-112/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like The Selection and Miss Peregrines' Are also good. Illuminae almost made my TTT (part of me still thinks it should have). Ink and Bone and Rot and Ruiit are on my TBR. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Comments