Tuesday, June 6, 2017

TTT: Adult Fiction Books That I've Recently Added To My TBR List

As a librarian, I am constantly adding to my "to be read" (TBR) list. I read about books all over the place and add them to my ever-growing list. Patrons and colleagues recommend books. I'll discover a new author and have to read more by them. This is really a problem, since that list will never get shorter. I read a lot, but I'm a little all over the map in my book selections. This summer, I'm trying to read more adult fiction novels, since I feel I've been lacking in that area lately. So here are ten books I've recently added to that neverending TBR list, and that I'm hoping to pick up this summer.


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic

Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig
Ginny is a 14-year-old autistic foster child. She's on her fourth family, finally one who seems to understand her and love her. The family is expecting a new baby and it has triggered memories in Ginny and sent her on a quest to get her baby doll back. The book sounds like one that will most definitely make me cry, and I'm looking forward to following Ginny's story.

Secrets of the Tulip Sisters by Susan Mallery
Susan Mallery is one of my guilty pleasure authors. She's so prolific that it's easy to find one I haven't read when I'm craving it. This story is about sisters Kate and Olivia, who have been estranged for six years prior to the start of the novel. Kate stayed home, taking over the family business as a tulip farmer, and everything is thrown into chaos when her sister returns. On top of that, Kate's old beau has returned to town. I managed to get my hands on an ARC of this book, so I'm looking forward to diving in.

The Hideaway by Lauren K. Denton
Sara's grandmother Mag recently passed away, willing her the B&B she owned and operated in Sweet Bay, Alabama. Sara goes to Sweet Bay, hoping to sell the B&B and get back home to her life. But Grandma Mag had different things in mind for Sara, because not only is the B&B falling apart, it has multiple residents. Staying to revamp the place leads to all sorts of challenges for Sara, but also leads to discovering all about the grandmother she thought she knew. This seems like a sweet, summer read to me, so that's my goal.

Miss You by Kate Eberlen
Tess and Gus are meant to be, but over the course of 16 years they miss all of their chances to meet one another. The book is told in alternating perspectives, showing just how close they come to meeting many times. The reader gets to know each character well enough to hope they finally make it at the end. This story sound very uniquely written and I think I just need to see how this works.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney
This one was recommended to me by a colleague. Taking place in 1984, 85-year-old Lillian Boxfish takes a walk through New York City, meeting all sorts of different people along her way. Readers are also given a peek into Lillian's life, from the Jazz Age to the 80s. The book is touted as a love story to a city, and sounds like a lovely read.

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
I added this to my list in light of the super popular HBO series. The book surrounds three very different women, all with their own secrets. Something terrible has happened in their town, and these women are thrown together to show the details of the situation.

Saints for All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan
I very much liked Sullivan's Maine, and this book's reviews tell me that this book has the same feel. Two young women, sisters, emigrate to America from Ireland. One sister, Nora, is the responsible one, caring for her flighty younger sister Theresa. One decision they make changes their lives forever. Flash forward 50 years, Nora has a big family and is estranged from her sister. An unexpected event brings the two back together, forcing them to confront the past. I can't wait to lose myself in this story.

We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter
This is my historical fiction pick. The Kurc family lives in Poland at the start of WWII. In 1939, the large, close family is unconcerned about the growing threat to them. Over the course of the six years of  the war, the family is scattered across five continents. Their challenges and lives are explored through this trying time. The book is based on the true events of the author's family.

The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain
Bookseller Laurent stumbles across an abandoned handbag on the streets of Paris. There's no identifying information in the bag, but the items in the bag build a picture of a woman he wants to meet. This is especially true of her red notebook, which has notes and impressions the woman has written. The premise of this book sort of reminds me of Amelie, and I really want to read it.

The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes by Anna McPartlin
Rabbit Hayes has a limited number of days left. But she's not telling that to her family. Instead, she's living up her last few days the way she wants, reliving the past in some ways, and exploring what the future could have held for her. It's supposed to be a life-changing sort of book, and I'm sure I'll cry.

What books have you added to your TBR list lately?

~Cailey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments