Tuesday, April 10, 2018

TTT: Books I Loved But Will Never Re-Read

In creating today's Top Ten Tuesday list, I realized that these books I loved, but won't re-read were mostly the books that made me cry. Now, I'm a sensitive reader and tend to become invested in my books, so it's not really that unusual for a book to hit me right in the feels, but most of these did so in a way I just can't bring myself to re-visit. All great books that you should definitely read though!

Top Ten Tuesday is a theme from That Artsy Reader Girl's blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
I enjoy historical fiction and I really did enjoy reading this story, but parts of it were so gruesome I can't read it again. The book has multiple perspectives, including a Nazi doctor and a young woman experimented on by the Nazis while in a camp. Someone in my book club recently suggested it and I told them, "I guess we can read it if you guys are really really interested, but it'll be hard for me." (So hopefully they don't choose it!)
http://discover.mentorpl.org/iii/encore/record/C__Rb1307224__Sgirl%20you%20left%20behind__P0%2C1__Orightresult__U__X7?lang=eng&suite=cobaltThe Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes
Same as above, really. This book has two stories, both sad. The first story is in Occupied France during WWI, the second story is in the early 2000s London. (see here for more on it.) I loved this book, but I became far too invested in it while reading and it ripped my heart out many times over. So for that reason, I cannot re-read it. Ever.
The Returned by Jason Mott
Deceased people return to the world, unaware of their own deaths, and wanting to resume their lives with their loved ones. You may start to sense a trend here...this book was so good, but just so incredibly sad. Because of that, I don't know if I could go through it again.
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
Again with the grim historical fiction. This tale was about a young white woman who had been raised as a slave, with the slaves on a plantation. As a child she's one of them, but as she grows, her place on the plantation changes. This was an incredibly well-written book, but there were some parts that were just so dark, I don't know if I could revisit it again.
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
This book was my mountain to overcome. It took me a year to read, on and off. The book is really two books in one, and as I was nearing the end of the first story, I became far too invested and worried about the characters living in the space station after the assumed destruction of Earth. It was a book to tackle.
Still Alice by Lisa Genova
I didn't think I'd enjoy this tale of a college professor who slowly succumbs to early onset Alzheimer's, but the author really hooked me with the writing style. The book was written from Alice's perspective, which allowed me as a reader to be just as confused as Alice was. However, I don't think it's a book I'd enjoy revisiting.
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
I'm starting to realize that well-written sad books are apparently my downfall. This story is about two high school students that meet at the top of the school's bell tower. Both are going through a difficult time and they come together to help each other cope. But again, sad sad book that totally made me ugly cry. I can't go through that again.
Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore
I really enjoy Christopher Moore's books; they're incredibly complex, intelligent, and funny. This book was a continuation of his book Fool which I had also loved. I enjoyed both books, but they just weren't the type of books I felt the need to re-visit.
The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson
I loved Laurie Halse Anderson's previous books Speak and Winter Girls, so I was very excited to learn she had released a new teen novel. This book hit me at a time when I related a bit too much to the main character's struggles, so again with the tears. Well-written and definitely recommended, just not for re-reading.
Sweep series by Cate Tiernan
As a teen, I was a little bit obsessed with this book series. I was fascinated by the witchcraft, the love triangles, everything. I don't think I could ever re-read them because, as an adult, I'm kind of afraid of what I'd find in these books. I can't imagine I'd be as hooked on the magic of the stories now, and I don't want to taint my memories of these books I loved.

So that's my list. What books did you love, but won't re-read?
~Cailey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments