Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Top Ten Books I Want My Nieces to Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic

I am so lucky to be able to say that I have two beautiful nieces. I was so excited to begin picking out books for them, it was one of the first things I did when I heard they were arriving. Thank god for libraries, but I have a feeling you guys already knew that. Fortunately their parents have been raising them with a healthy love of reading and books.

If I had the time I would take my nieces row by row, sharing every last picture book we have with them. But kids have “naptimes” and I have a “job” so that’s not possible. Instead I often pull out my favorites and share those. Of course there are plenty of classic picture books that they already love, but new amazing books are being published every day and I can’t wait to share those as well.
So, check out a couple of more recent titles, all of which I have shared, or can’t wait to share with my nieces.

The Dark by Lemony Snicket, illustrated by Jon Klassen
I love Jon Klassen’s artwork, and he is probably my favorite children’s book illustrator. I would be tempted to put his books as half of my list but that that wouldn’t make for an interesting list. So instead I’ll recommend his collaboration with one of my favorite children’s authors, Lemony Snicket. The Dark tells the story of a little boy who is afraid of the dark. To get over his fear, he decides to go visit the dark where it lives, in his big scary basement. He ends up discovering that maybe the dark isn’t so bad after all.

I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark by Debbie Levy, illustrated by Elizabeth Baddley
Young girls are in need of positive female role models and representation in children’s literature. Who better to promote girl power than the Notorious RGB? I Dissent is a biographical picture book that covers the life of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, one dissent at a time.

Ada Twist, Scientist by Andrea Beaty, illustrated by David Roberts
If you haven’t seen any of Beaty’s picture books I highly recommend you check them out. Recently she’s been working on a series of books about some talented kids who are all in a class together. The most recent installment is Ada Twist, Scientist. Ada was a very quiet girl growing up, but she soon began asking that all important question “why?”  Her inquisitive nature leads her on a mission to find the source of a terrible smell in her home. Definitely check this out if you are looking for STEM themed picture books for your kids.

Stuck by Oliver Jeffers
I like to take this one when I need a book for slightly older kid because it always gives them a good laugh. Floyd gets his kite stuck up in a tree. In an attempt to knock it down, he starts throwing other objects up into the tree. It ends up getting a little crazy and let’s just say that I am impressed with Floyd’s upper body strength.

The Bad Seed by Jory John, illustrated by Pete Oswald
Sometimes I like a book just because it’s so much fun to read out loud. This is one of those books. Oh no, watch out! Here comes the bad seed. He doesn’t put things back where they belong and cuts in line! But this seed doesn’t want to be bad, and decides that he wasn’t to make a change and be happy!

Paige is adamant that she can see just fine. Paige cannot see just fine. She can no longer see the chalkboard at school or her sheet music during practice. She needs glasses, but is afraid of going to see the doctor. Her mother takes her to the eye doctor where she takes an eye exam and then gets to pick out her frames from a wide selection of styles.

The Whispering Town by Jennifer Elvgren, illustrated by Fabio Santomauro
I usually try to pick happier books for little ones, but I also think it is important to teach kids about the less than bright parts of our history. Those who don’t learn from their past and all that. Due to its subject matter, this is a book I will save for my nieces till they are older. The Whispering Town is based on a true story and tells the story of a little girl whose family is hiding a Jewish family in Nazi-occupied Denmark. The entire town works together, whispering directions to guide the family to safety.

I Am Yoga by Susan Verde, illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds
I love books that encourage kids to get up and moving. I wouldn’t recommending sitting with your kid and reading this book. Instead, you should get up and follow along with all of the yoga poses. A nice stretch will do you good.

Blobfish Throws a Party by Miranda Paul, illustrated by Maggie Caton
Poor little Blobfish, he lives at the bottom of the ocean and just wants some friends. He decides to throw a party, but when he calls out to the shore his message gets distorted. After a game of telephone his message ends up helping in an unexpected way.

Home by Carson Ellis
We each have our own little space that we call home. And while each of our homes can make us feel safe and welcome, they all look very different. This book explores different types of dwellings, from realistic to fantastical. While the story might not be the most exciting, Ellis’s illustrations are out of this world.

And now, which books do you want to give to the kids in your life?

~Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments