Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Slay a Lion to Get Early

Top Ten Tuesday is a theme from That Artsy Reader Girl's blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic
I am pretty avid about the books I read. I closely follow my favorite authors and series and put book release dates on my personal calendar, because the day a books comes out is often an EVENT in my life that needs to be planned around. In fact, Tuesday is my favorite day of the week because it’s New Book Day! 

So, what books am I waiting for? Here is a list of the ten books I would slay a lion to get early…


Court of Frost and Starlight (Court of Thorns and Roses, book 4) by Sarah J Maas – (May 1) – Fairies, magic, love, courage, honor, and treachery abound in this series. The Court of Thorns and Roses series started as a fairy tale retelling and has grown solidly past that into its own mythos. Maas is a great writer. I recommend everything she has written (both teen and adult).

Dark Queen (Jane Yellowrock, book 12) by Faith Hunter – (May 1) – After 11 books, I am solidly invested in the Jane Yellowrock series, starring a motorcycle, riding vampire slaying, skinwalker (shapechanger). A reader would need to start at the beginning, but I highly recommend the action packed urban fantasy series.

Planet Dragos by Thea Harrison – (May 14) – Who waits in breathless anticipation for a novella? I do. I cannot wait to see shapeshifting Dragos and Pia again. Their developing relationship has been one of my favorite shapeshifter paranormal romances. Harrison has said that this is going to be the last story from their points of view, so with sadness and bated breath, I wait.

Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassins, #17) by Jennifer Estep – (June 12) – Gin, an assassin who has unwillingly become the nominal head of the magical underworld, is a memorable character and all of the Elemental Assassin books are quick, fun, exciting reads. I really enjoy the series and recommend them to someone looking for an engaging Urban Fantasy read. Even after 17 books, I look forward to each new book.

Smoke and Iron (Great Library) – Rachel Caine – (July 3) – Evil Librarians! What more can this non-evil librarian ask for? This series is slated for teens, but every adult I know who has read it has enjoyed it. I mean, who doesn’t love an evil librarian?



Shadow’s Bane (Dorina Basarab, # 4) by Karen Chance – (August 7) – Dorina, a dhampir (half vampire/half human), is trying to figure out how she fits in a world of humans, demons, magicians, and vampires. It is a wild ride. Book #3 of this series came out in 2012 and yet readers are still excited about a new book in the series in 2018… which just tells you how good this series is. And, for the record, I am very, very excited.

Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels #10) by Ilona Andrews – (August 28) – Ilona Andrews is my #1 favorite author(s). I wait in breathless anticipation for anything out by this writing duo (husband and wife). Considering this upcoming book is slated to have the long anticipated battle between Kate Daniels and her world-conquering father, Roland, I would kill to get this book early. August 28th can’t come fast enough.

Leverage in Death (In Death, book 47) – J D Robb – (September 4) – A near future, sci-fi-esque police procedural, murder mystery, romance. There are 47 books in this series. 47! And my friends and I fight over who gets to read the new book first EVERY time a new one comes out. Me! Me! I’m first this time!

Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Lani Taylor – (October 2) – This is the sequel to Strange the Dreamer which was a truly haunting tale of gods, revenge, family, and hope. I cannot wait to see where Taylor takes the story. Since Taylor is known for twists, turns, and unpredictable storylines, I am sure it is going to end up nowhere I anticipate.

Uncompromising Honor (Honor Harrington) – David Weber – (October 2) – A new Honor Harrington book! A new Honor Harrington book! Spaceship war! The Star Kingdom of Manticore vs. the Solarian League. This epic battle has been in the making for years. It’s been five years since the last book and I need my Honor Harrington fix. Get me this book NOW!

These are the ten books I’d slay a lion to get early. Magic Triumphs even has a shape-shifting lion in it. But, I really don’t want to slay Curran. He’s too much fun to read about... and it would make Kate mad. I guess I’m going to have to find a different lion to slay.

~Mary P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments