Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I liked it. I really, really liked it.

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

I read The Gargoyle and really liked it. I liked the personality of the narrator, I liked the story, the stories within the stories, the (not so subtle) allusions to other stories, mainly Dante’s Divine Comedy. I liked it all. It’s about a guy who has a horrible car accident and ends up very very badly burned. He’s so depressed that he’s looking forward to his release from the hospital so he can kill himself, when Madeline Engle walks into his life. She tells him they were lovers in the 1300's and proceeds to tell him stories about their life together back then, along with other stories of tragic lovers. The pacing is nice and I really like the cover. This is Davidson's first novel, but publishers knew a good thing when they saw it and gave him a lot of money for this book. I would say he deserves it.

Wanna read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments