Wednesday, December 31, 2008

what would you do if you couldn't use your car or cell phone anymore?

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Last night I went to see “The Day the Earth Stood Still.” It was pretty good. It was entertaining throughout, kinda fun. I would say it was a good flick. And I don’t want to ruin the ending for anyone, but Earth (and all of its inhabitants) survives. Except (and this is where we get into spoiler alert zone) in the end, instead of destroying the human race, the aliens instead destroy all (and I mean all) electronic devices; watches, cars, computers--done. Then the movie ends. I would have liked to see a clip from two years later, where people were making due (peacefully and effectively) without all the machines we have relied on so much for so many years. I started thinking what it would be like to suddenly have no use of any electronic devices. And this is where I get to my book tie-in; Cormac McCarthy’s The Road could be a very appropriate sequel to the effects of no machines from “The Day the Earth Stood Still.” In it, an unnamed father and son travel by foot after an ambiguous fallout occurs in the United States. They must scavenge for food and shelter all the while avoiding gangs and violence on their voyage south to the ocean. The book is stark and suspenseful in its subtleness. And although it could quite possibly pass into a depressing read, McCarthy lets bits of hope gleam through the cracks throughout. Actually there is another movie tie-in here because I saw on imdb.com that The Road will be made into a movie staring Aragorn, I mean Viggo Mortensen (man, I am all about the movies today).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments