Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Company of Awesome

Company of Liars by Karen Maitland

This book has it all; suspense, mystery, creepy little girls, the plague, stories within stories, some (not too over the top) gore. It even has a cool tag line: “Nine travelers. Nine Secrets. One by one, their stories unfold. Who is the liar?” Reviews compared it to Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, and I guess I can see how Maitland drew inspiration from the idea of strangers traveling together telling stories. The mystery element is rich and rewarding. I hate it when I’m watching a movie and I can tell from the beginning how it’s going to end. I think it says something about the movie that I’m even thinking about that and not just watching the movie. The mysteries in Company of Liars keeps you interested, and although I figured some of them out before they were revealed, it didn’t distract from the story. I think it would lead to some great discussions in a book group.




1 comment:

  1. Yah, i loved this book too! it was rather
    creepy, especially the little witch girl,
    narigorm or whatever.

    ReplyDelete

Comments