Thursday, January 22, 2009

Confessions of an English major

Alright. I’m going to admit it and you’re going to think I’m crazy (or too inept to write a blog about books). Here goes: I have not read To Kill a Mockingbird. There. I said it. I’m not proud of it but it’s true. So if I’m so self conscious why don’t I just pick it up and read it? Good question. It’s got something to do with being past the point of no return, I think. It’s like, I’m speeding along the book highway, I ain’t got time to turnaround and stop at every “world’s largest ball of string” monument I pass. Even if I hear this ball of string is particularly riveting, I got places to go. I can’t mourn every sight I didn’t see on my way here. The days of recreational reading are over. Shoot, the days of being forced to read classics by venerable professors are over. I’ve got people to entertain with my witty book banter. And the highways of books keeps stretching on.

Do you have any books that you feel bad about not reading? Please say yes and make me feel less alone on my figurative highway of books.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, for sure... I'm planning to read all those books I wanna read, though. In the summer.
    Do you really think you have no time at all? Even if you aimed at three pages per night? Pick a time when you're relatively free (the summertime, for instance)and try to start reading!
    There's always so much to read, and books can be very fulfilling. If a book makes you think, reflect, or connect with yourself, reading it is definitely time well spent.

    ReplyDelete

Comments