Monday, February 9, 2009

Books aren’t all we have at the library

As I’m sure you’re aware, we’re facing some hard economic times. When this happens, public libraries get brought to the front of the public stage (we just made the cover of The Wall Street Journal a few weeks ago). This gives all of us shy bookish types the opportunity to brag about all the free and awesome things you can do at your library. Like renting movies—for free!! And our internet terminals that are free for the public. And of course the books. But we also have oodles of music CDs to check out. I’m a big fan of the soundtrack. I love the different artists that all share a similar theme. My top three soundtracks are “I Am Sam,” which features remade Beatles songs from current artists (Rufus Wainwright is amazing), “Romeo and Juliet,” from the 1996 version starring Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio, and last but not least the “Garden State” soundtrack which was compiled by writer/director/actor/marvelous compiler of music Zach Braff. Over the summer I was really into the “Grey’s Anatomy” soundtrack. I don’t even watch the show, but any CD that includes a Mike Doughty song is a favorite of mine. Right now I’m listening to the “Sex and the City” soundtrack which has one of the best remakes on it (listen to India.Arie singing “The Heart of the Matter” and tell me it’s not incredible). Ahhh, it feels good to talk about some of the great music we have at the library. Take a listen when you have the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments