Monday, April 27, 2009

I can't believe I read the whole thing.

You know those books that sound really good when you read about them, so you dig in, and they’re alright, you wouldn’t say they’re horrible, so you keep going? But then along the way you think, huh, this isn’t that great, I should probably stop, but maybe I’ll read til the next chapter to see if it gets better? And it doesn’t get better, but you’ve passed the point of no return about 20 pages ago, you’re already over half finished, you might as well go the rest of the way? And then it ends, and you’re like, I can’t believe I just wasted my time on this book when there are so many other good books out there, even some classics like To Kill a Mockingbird that I have never read before? Here are some books that I absolutely love to hate. Books that I am now adding to my blog, not to recommend them, but to not recommend them. Don’t check them out.

The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. Okay, so I picked this one up because I was enthralled by The Da Vinci Code, sue me. Do I deserve to read a trite book about rich kids living out their Senior year at Princeton with no earth shattering revelations because I like a good code-breaking thriller? And the worst part was the end where the authors tried to wrap up the characters’ lives, and I’m like, *yawn.* Next.

Divisadero by Michael Ondjaate. And you thought The English Patient movie was boring. This is by the same author, and it sounded really good, it did. I actually listened to this one in the car and at one point I thought I had accidentally put in a different book by mistake, but no. It was so confusing, and then it just kind of petered out. The best thing about the book is the title—it’s fun to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments