Saturday, April 16, 2011

Books to keep an eye out for.


So when I first started this blog, I had this catchy series I called “books of the future.” I would find books that hadn’t been published yet, and write something witty about how when they would be published, we’d have flying cars and such. I was quite pleased with these, although they were much easier to write when I was actually ordering the fiction and had the opportunity to read about pre-published books. Not so much anymore, with the children’s responsibilities. But! Have no fear, faithful reader(s)! For behold, dreams can come true, as is apparent with my following blog, in which I write about two books to be published in the future! Let this be a lesson that anything is possible (maybe even flying cars), if we wait long enough (and have extra time in the morning to look over our advanced copy shelf!) Enjoy!

The Girl in the Garden by Kamala Nair. Likened to The Secret Garden and Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake, this book also reminds me of Amy Tan’s works. In this story, we have a girl who goes back to her native India to uncover lost, deep, dark, secrets. Ok, so the description had me at “secrets,” but I’m also a sucker for coming of age stories, which this one promises to be.

Vaclav and Lena by Haley Tanner. So this one had me at “magic,” but it also sounds like a fun love story. Vaclav, a Russian immigrant boy, befriends orphan Lena. When Lena goes away under mysterious circumstances, Vaclav is left wondering why she left. Flash forward several years, and Lena comes back into the picture. This book had good reviews for its writing and likable characters, so give it a chance, won’t you, when it finally comes out? Go ahead and put them on hold, so you can be the first on your street to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments