Monday, October 3, 2011

Concussions in the fictional world lead to great reading!

I took a brief break from the Ranger’s Apprentice series to read a few new books. The first one I read is called What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. Although I was tempted to say something lame like, “it was unforgettable!” I’ll save you my Monday morning wit, and just say that it was really good. To be honest, I couldn’t put it down. The book starts with Alice coming to in a gym and not remembering how she got there. It turns out, she doesn’t remember ten whole years of her life. After hitting her head, she still thinks she’s 29 and pregnant with her first child, when really, she is turning 40 and has 3 kids. Her once blissfully happy marriage to Nick has somehow broken and she is on the verge of a divorce. Alice is a very relatable character, even though she’s starting to think she doesn’t like her 39-year-old self. The book could be titled What Alice Remembers, because she still thinks she’s in love with Nick, and remembers how close she and her sister used to be. She can’t believe things have changed so much, and gets the people around her to see how much things have changed. There were sections in the book in which her sister is writing journal-style to her psychologist, and another where their grandmother writes about her life. These help fill in blanks that Alice could not possibly do, but I also found them a bit distracting. I wanted to get on with the story, not have to stop to hear what Elizabeth is thinking. As I am a fan of stories with something that needs worked out, and also time travel, and seeing how this book has some quasi-time travel, I found myself very addicted. It’s definitely worth checking out, and it’s not even a young adult!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments