Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Halloween Themed Edition

Happy Halloween Themed Top Ten Tuesday! We couldn't decide on which one of the two proposed topics we liked best, so you get a little of both!

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started on the Broke and the Bookish blog.
They set the topic, we make the lists. Visit their site to see more on this topic

Books and movies to get in the Halloween spirit:
Granted, there are tons of great Halloween-themed, and just plain scary books and movies out there, but here are my favorites!


Halloweentown
Growing up in the '90s meant watching Nickelodeon cartoons and Disney Channel Original Movies. Halloweentown is one of those movies that has stuck with me through the years and watching it has become a seasonal tradition with my mom. 
Halloween
I am not a big fan of horror movies, but I can handle the classics like the original “Halloween” with Jamie Lee Curtis. It’s just scary enough, and it only takes that famous theme song to get me into the Halloween spirit.


In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories by Alvin Schwartz
This children’s book was one of my favorites as a kid. Reading the “scary” stories now, they are definitely a bit silly, but they are fun and kid appropriate.
Horns by Joe Hill
Joe Hill is one of my favorite writers and his book, Horns, is a great book to get into the Halloween spirit, with the perfect blend of fantasy and horror. The main character, Ig, wakes up to discover that he has grown horns that no one else seems to see, but they are influencing people to tell him their deepest, darkest secrets. The book has been adapted into a film starring Daniel Radcliffe, which will hit theaters on Halloween this year.


AMC’s The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead, based on a series of graphic novels written by Robert Kirkman, premiered on October 31st, 2010. My husband and I have been watching it every year since, and it doesn’t feel like autumn until the show has started. However, it is definitely not a show for children or anyone with a weak stomach; it is very violent and gory.

~Ragan S.

Characters I would like to dress up as for Halloween:
It’s that time of year again, Halloween. And one of my favorite parts of Halloween is coming up with ideas for costumes. Here are a couple of characters I would like to dress up as for Halloween.

Ms. Frizzle is best third grade teacher anyone could ever ask for. She takes her students on wild and amazing field trips using her magical school bus, and her outfits always coordinate with the theme of their adventure. With so many outstanding outfits it would be hard to choose just one, but I would have to do with her outer space ensemble, solar system headset included.

After surviving the blood fever, Adelina lost her left eye but gained amazing powers. Her costume would be pretty fun to make. Just get myself a Renaissance dress and eye patch and create a convincing scar using makeup.

Holes was one of my favorite books growing up, and I’m happy to see that many children today enjoy reading it too. Stanley is the hero of this tale, who has been sent to Camp Green Lake for a crime he didn’t commit. This costume would be easy enough. All I would need is an orange jumpsuit, a red hat, and a “Yelnats” nametag.

Toph is a young, blind earthbender from the Avatar series. And while the TV series may have ended, her story continues in the graphic novels written by Gene Luen Yang. Toph is tough as nails and is easily my favorite character from the series. Her costume would be a little more complicated, but well worth the effort.

Admittedly, this one is kind of a gimme because I will be dressing as Batgirl for Halloween. Who wouldn’t want to dress as their favorite superhero for Halloween? Especially a superhero librarian!


Stop by on Halloween to see who our staff has dressed up as. Kids who come in costume can get a special treat!

~Marilyn W.

1 comment:

  1. "Horns" is definitely high in my TBR and to-watch list.

    ~ Cate is Reading Good Books.

    ReplyDelete

Comments