Thursday, November 20, 2014

Musings from the Teen Book Club

I have had the immense pleasure of leading MPL’s Teen Book Club since its inception in September. What follows are some musings on the books we have read and discussed thus far.

For some reason, I had minimal interest in reading this book before choosing it for the inaugural TBC meeting. When something gets insanely popular, I tend to shy away from it until the hype dies down. That being said, I am so glad I read this book sooner than later AND had people ready to gab with me about it. When I asked the club members if John Green (a 30-something year old man) wrote a convincing teen girl protagonist, one stated that she thinks “everyone has a bit of teenage girl inside of them.” Hilarity ensued.

Yes, of course I had to make my club read some Pratchett! Nation is unlike the rest of Pratchett’s work, being a partly fantasy and partly alternate history novel for young adults that deals heavily with the theme of good vs. evil. It’s not my favorite Pratchett book, but most of the members (read: those that finished the book *cough*cough*) enjoyed it. I definitely sleep more easily knowing that I introduced Pratchett to another generation of readers.

I had read this title prior to discussing it with my teens, and I had mixed feelings about it. My opinion did not change much from my second read-through. I can’t wrap my brain around the fact that the protagonist’s romantic interest is… well, let’s just say it’s an unconventional romance story. The club members liked it the book as a whole, and I suppose that’s all that matters in the end!

This is a book that I would never have read if it had not been for the Teen Book Club. It’s so far out of my comfort zone, so completely opposite of what I usually look for in a book. It’s dark, suspenseful, and a bit gruesome. That being said, I was amazed to find that I could not put this book down. And with that being said, I probably will not be continuing the series—I am too much of a wimp for that! In the end, I’m glad that I gave something new a try. I just hope I haven’t scarred any of my teens for life…

~Ariel 

Mentor Public Library’s Teen Book Club is open to teens in grades 9 to 12. The club meets on the first Saturday of every month, from 2:00 to 3:30 PM at our Mentor-on-the-Lake Branch. Copies of selected books are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration is requested. Questions can be directed to the Lake Branch at 440-257-2512.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments