Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Librarians' Line-Up: Favorite Superheroes!

It's been awhile, so it's time for another "Librarians' Line-Up" here at Mentor's Reader. In light of our super summer reading theme (superheroes), our topic today is Favorite Superheroes! Feel free to share yours with us in the comments below.


My favorite superhero is the Hulk. I like that Bruce Banner is normal... until he is not. I think this is a metaphor for most people we meet in our lives. Normal... until they are under stress and then who they really are inside comes out. What can I say? Sometimes I am too intellectual for my own good.
~Mary P.

Previously, I talked about wanting to hang out with Barbara Gordon (AKA Batgirl) and it so happens that Batgirl is also my favorite superhero - just not Barbara Gordon's version of the character. Stephanie Brown, the third Batgirl, is my favorite superhero because she's just so average. She started fighting crime as Spoiler when she discovered her father was actually the Batman villain, Cluemaster, before eventually taking up the mantle of Batgirl (from the second Batgirl Cassandra Cain). So, while Barbara is the genius computer hacker Batgirl and Cassandra is the expert martial artist/assassin Batgirl, that leaves Stephanie as the hapless one. She fights crime because it's the right thing to do, not because she's particularly good at it.
~Meredith T.

My favorite superhero has always been Batman, because he is one of the few superheroes that are not superhuman. He’s just a man with above-average intelligence and a bottomless bank account. Batman is unique, because—more than any other superhero—he’s vulnerable. In Batman #497 (July, 1993), the villain Bane breaks Batman’s back. Bruce Wayne cannot miraculously heal himself (like Wolverine, Martian Manhunter, or Deadpool), and the physical trauma that he undergoes is compounded by a struggle with depression during his recovery. I am certain that everybody can find something about Bruce Wayne that they can relate to, and that’s what makes Batman the best. He proves that anybody can be a superhero.
~Ariel J.

I grew up watching the animated X-Men show on TV and thought that Rogue was the coolest. I liked all the X-Men really, but I liked that she could fly and could take on any power she absorbed (for the more indecisive of us). Gambit was cool too. I liked his accent. I don't like what they did with Rogue's character in the movies, but what are you going to do?
~Amanda D.

My favorite superhero is Daredevil. He’s all about overcoming obstacles (being blind and all) and he spends his time fighting for the little guy. He’s willing to take a whupping for what he believes in, but he’s not averse to dealing one out as well. He’s friends with Black Widow, and you’ve got to respect that, even though he spends a lot of time trying to keep her from killing people.
~John F.

Currently, my favorite superhero, like John's, is Daredevil. (It changes from time to time.) Right now, I like him best because I recently binge-watched the Netflix show, which really changed my views of the blind superhero. I like that he wasn't born with his powers and had to learn how to hone them properly. He's a superhero with a lot of morals that he lives by. I also think he just kicks butt. I've never read his comics, but now I have to. 
~Cailey W.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments