Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Reading Outside of My Comfort Zone…Kind Of

I am a little embarrassed to admit that I am very new to the graphic novel/comic book game. My husband is a comic reader and many of my co-workers are as well, but I just hadn’t given them a shot until recently. Being so new to this format, I thought I should start with something I know. Joe Hill is one of my favorite authors and I have loved all of his novels. Lucky for me, he also writes comic books.

Hill’s first comic series was Locke and Key and the first issue was released in 2008. After a horrible tragedy, the Locke family moves to Lovecraft, Massachusetts to the Keyhouse mansion that has been in their family for centuries. The Locke children quickly learn that there are some evil forces at work within the house. Bode, the youngest, starts encountering keys with special powers, most of which are terrifying (like a key that literally unlocks your head and gives others access to your thoughts and memories). With these keys, the Locke children begin to unfold a story from their father's past that will have very real consequences in the present day. They are forced to fight the evil that they unintentionally released.

These stories are not for the faint of heart. There is a lot of violence and a lot of gore. But there is also a lot of heart to the story. You quickly become very attached to the Locke kids, especially Bode, and you root for their victory over the terrible evil that resides in Keyhouse. It has been rumored that there is a TV series based on Locke and Key in the works, and I for one think that is a great idea. I thoroughly enjoyed this series and it has convinced me to continue reading stories in this format. From what I hear, there are a lot of amazing ones out there. 


Have you read anything outside of your comfort zone lately?

~Ragan S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments